Monday, March 2, 2009

Trustyhenchmen

So as I noted earlier, I've been working on another project lately which is partially why my posting is kinda random. Although honestly it was random in the first place, but that's besides the point. NEW SITE!

I'm not dropping this blog at all though. The new blog has a very specific purpose and is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. See, I don't really bother doing reviews on this blog for a few reasons. First, I figure there are so many review sites out there anyways and it would be kind of a waste of effort to just do straight up reviews without bringing something else to the table. Which is not a dig on other review sites, but considering I don't have too much traffic on this blog I wanted to try something different.

And that something is http://trustyhenchmen.com/

So, to give you a better idea of exactly what I want to try to do, I'm gonna copy & paste the About info from the new blog here. Because, you guessed it, I'm still a little lazy.

"I’ve worked many years in comic book retail, and one of the things I enjoy the most is recommending books to new readers. I’ve seen many other retailers handle this situation a number of ways, including only recommending books that they personally enjoy the most. While I believe you should have that passion for what you like, I also think you are shortchanging the customer and your business.

I always believe that you should find out exactly what the customer likes. Do they prefer fantasy? Crime? Do they only like drama and prefer no men-in-tights in their stories? Or are they a super-hero fan all the way? Once you get a better idea of their personal leanings, then you can direct them towards something they can enjoy more. The best way to make sure you can do this properly is to have a good general knowledge of what is available to them in every genre. Think of it as necessary homework if you want to be a successful comic book retailer. If you don’t know what Maus is or have never read Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, then you might be a little lost sometimes when you want to help somebody out.

The purpose of this blog is to create a database of short reviews on every sort of comic book imaginable. This is meant for virtually anyone interested in comics, not just retailers who are trying to expand their base knowledge of what is available. I’ll be categorizing each book listed here by a number of different genres, as well as tagging them with creator names so you can have easy access to whatever grabs your interest."

So, I was hoping on having more reviews done before I linked the site here, but 15 is a good enough start I think. The host is Klat, which I'm still getting used to their design and overall system but I've had a lot of help setting it up and it will continue to morph a little as we go.

The reviews are not especially long, mostly because I am more concerned about building the database and giving the 'how to recommend' notes above all else. As I have more time I will try to expand on them, but considering my goal is to catalog hundreds and hundreds of titles I need to pace myself considering I will maintain this site as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and you can leave that here or over there or wherever.

No comments: